Chief Executive Officer, Orthopedics
OrthoVirginia is the state’s largest provider of expert orthopedic and therapy care which serves the needs of its patients through a team of highly trained specialists who are committed to the independent practice of medicine. Located in Richmond, northern Virginia and Lynchburg, OrthoVirginia has more than 100 physicians, 23 office locations, MRI facilities, outpatient surgery centers and physical therapy clinics. Its mission is to improve the musculoskeletal health and well-being of those who live in the communities that it serves. OrthoVirginia’s statewide network of physicians and healthcare providers strives to deliver high quality, cost effective orthopedic care to its patients.
In partnership with the State Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for the success of OrthoVirginia (OV). The CEO leads the executive management team in the planning, organization and direction of operations for all regions of OV. The CEO works collaboratively with the State Board to set the strategic direction of the organization and represents OV’s interests to all constituents in the healthcare, government and general business sectors. The position is responsible for the overall fiscal, operational and compliance health of the practice. The CEO creates an atmosphere of transparency, civil discourse, continuous learning and enthusiasm for excellence in every aspect of the practice.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND OBJECTIVES*
- Actively supports the Board of Directors in direction setting, strategic planning and plan execution. Collaborates with the executive management team to carry out the Board’s guidance. Regularly communicates practice performance through reports and presentations to the executive management team, Regional Boards, State Executive Committee, State Board of Directors, Shareholders and OV Team.
- Actively engages with physician leadership and the executive management team to deliver musculoskeletal care with an emphasis on statewide, consistently reproducible superior patient outcomes, high patient satisfaction and appropriate cost.
- Oversees regional clinic/facility operations and ancillary services (therapy, surgery centers, procedure suites, MRI, DME/bracing, bone health, urgent MSK care) and all associated management functions necessary to support OV including human resources, marketing, finance, REIT, compliance and information technology.
- Ensures that physicians and Team have the tools and support to deliver patient care in an effective and safe manner.
- Ensures patient satisfaction. Creates a culture of service through staff training programs and leading by example.
- Standardizes business processes to reduce variation and the cost of doing business.
- Serves as the key executive for performance improvement opportunities for the practice; evaluates and implements process improvement changes and new programs.
- Provides infrastructure and required ongoing internal reporting for clinical CQI process, which must be driven by physicians
- Ensures a fiscally sound organization:
- Collaborates with the executive management team to achieve financial results that are acceptable to Shareholders, within industry norms and within parameters/covenants as established by financial partners.
- Identifies and implements revenue enhancement and cost savings opportunities
- Negotiates payor contracts in collaboration with Board and Contracting Committees established by the Board.
- Monitors and communicates key financial performance metrics for the practice
- Oversees appropriate risk analysis of key investments, potential mergers and financial decisions and communicates same to Board of Directors.
- Ensures a stable and productive workforce:
- Supervises, develops and motivates the executive management team; ensures that they have the ongoing training and support to function effectively in their roles. Fosters an environment of accountability for the team at all levels.
- Collaborates with the Director of Human Resources to:
- Create a workplace atmosphere that makes OrthoVirginia a ‘blue ribbon’ employer, with high levels of retention
- Ensure that compensation (pay and benefits) are market appropriate.
- Implement programs/activities to enhance employee satisfaction and minimize risk.
- Establishes and maintains policies and procedures to ensure compliance with various accrediting and regulatory agencies:
- Ensures compliance with state, federal and local law e.g. CMS, EEOC, HIPAA, OSHA
- Ensures maintenance of the practice’s accreditation with AAAHC, ACR, CLIA, COLA, AANEM and other required and/or market desirable certifications.
- Serves as the practice’s representative to the larger healthcare, government and business community by participating in national, state and local relevant meetings and events. Advocates on issues as identified by the Board of Directors.