To be fully engaged in providing Quality/No Harm, Customer Experience, and Stewardship by providing legal counsel and support, to Health First and its other affiliated entities. The Vice President – Deputy General Counsel (“Attorney”) has the authority to represent Health First and other affiliated entities at depositions, hearings and trials, mediation and settlement conferences. The Attorney is responsible to provide superior quality, competitive value and outstanding service by providing legal support and assistance to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel, the various Boards of Directors/Trustees of Health First and executive management and the management teams. The Attorney is to provide legal advice and counseling regarding transactional matters, including negotiating, drafting and interpreting contracts, providing legal advice, interpretations and opinions regarding state and federal laws and regulations. Furthermore, the Attorney is to represent the organization before courts and administrative agencies, coordinate litigation involving the organization as may be assigned, manage and coordinate outside counsel activities and provide legal support in litigation. In this role, the Attorney supervises the Corporate Attorney, the Contracts Attorney, the Senior Corporate Paralegal and the Corporate Legal Coordinator and others as assigned. Additionally, the Attorney is to provide assistance and support to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel as requested on all legal matters regarding Health First, its affiliated entities and their activities. Attorney will supervise the contracting process and the management of the Company’s contract management application.
The Attorney will support the Senior Vice President and General Counsel and the Legal Department in providing sound, consistent legal advice and services to Health First and its affiliated entities. The Attorney will work closely with various Boards of Directors/Trustees, executive administrators, Privacy, HR, Risk Management, IT, Corporate Compliance and other departments as requested to support the legal needs of Health First and its affiliated entities. The Attorney will provide direction to other members of the Legal Department when the Senior Vice President and General Counsel is not available. The Attorney will assist in training professional staff in healthcare related matters.
- Assists Privacy, Quality, Risk Management, Health First Medical Group, the hospitals and other Health First entities in complying with codes, laws, rules, and regulations concerning patient care and safety, including those mandated by state and federal agencies, and investigation activities of federal, state and local authorities.
- Assists with implementation of relevant statutes and regulations including mandated mechanisms of monitoring.
- Assists in establishing insurance requirements for all contract exposures.
- Manages all director and officer, employment rights and fiduciary claims/lawsuits.
- When requested, works with state and national organizations and legislative committees, interacting with legislatures whenever possible to control development of adverse statutory requirements or inappropriate rule making.
- Directs activities of associates in the investigation and management of potential risks and subject insurance claims.
- Directs subject claims handling and defense preparation activities of the insurance (non-medical malpractice) companies and defense counsel.
- Selects and monitors outside legal counsel as required.
- Confers directly with claimants, attorneys, physicians, employees, brokers, consultants, and carriers in claims and/or management of legal suits.
- Represents Health First at depositions, hearings, mediation conferences, settlement conferences, and trial as directed.
The Attorney is responsible to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Health First, Inc., and works closely with-various administrations and the Executive Team, Corporate and Defense Counsels, IT, Quality, Compliance Officers, Risk Management, HR, Privacy and Department Directors.
- Medical Staff: The Attorney is responsible for attending hospital Medical Executive Committee and other meetings as requested; providing consultation and guidance to the Medical Staff office and the Vice Presidents of Medical Affairs regarding Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, medical staff and legal issues, credentialing, peer review, policies and procedures at each hospital facility.
- Board of Directors: The Attorney is responsible, as requested, for attending meetings of the various Boards of Directors/Trustees, committees and other Board functions in order to provide reports pertaining to legal activities and consultation relating to Board procedures, Bylaws and other legal matters.
- Hospital Administration: The Attorney is responsible for providing legal opinions and consultation to administration and departments regarding laws and regulations, hospital policy and procedures, employment and ethics issues.
- Health First and affiliated entities: The Attorney is responsible, upon request, for providing opinions, drafting and reviewing contracts, policies and procedures, responding to attorney inquiries, supporting complex transactions, advising on healthcare regulatory matters and tax matters, etc. Attorney is responsible for supervising the staff in a manner that causes staff to provide high quality service to internal client units.
- Contracting: Reviews the work product of the paralegals as assigned. Reviews complex contracts and provides guidance to contract managers.
- Regulatory, Insurance and other Support
- Researches and assists in the development and implementation of entity, departmental and corporation policies and procedures.
- Supports leaders so that risks are minimized by investigating and acting on regulatory, subject insurance and survey report recommendations/deficiencies.
- Assists with selecting and utilizing consulting services, brokers, and/or carriers as needed to manage risk modification and transfer processes.
- Assists with managing the corporation insurance program and recommends selection and retention of carriers for subject insurance products except professional and general liability.
- Assists with evaluating property exposures including new construction and renovation programs to ensure coverage and minimize risk.
- Develops general familiarity with insurance markets through frequent market contact and attendance at meetings and market symposiums.
- Assists with maintaining a broad comprehensive insurance program including such activities as insurance purchasing, insurance consulting, administering deductible levels, coordinating claims, and handling all applicable insurance lines.
- Recommends funding requirements and necessary limits of coverage to senior management when requested
- Prepares data required by brokers, carriers and legal counsel and manages process through to settlement of claim in the event of a loss on subject claims.
- Supervises the completion of renewal applications for all applicable lines of insurance.
- Oversees the HCCR physician renewal process.
- Submits recommendations for changes in the existing risk control and risk financing procedures based on changes in property, operations, identified exposures, or activities.
- Reports subject claims information to senior management.
- Supervises the filing of estate and subrogation claims as requested.
- Manages outside counsel in cases seeking reimbursement for underpayments to HF providers.
- Assists with identifying areas of costs savings in the Legal Department.
- Effectively manages and supervises staff.
- The Attorney is expected to provide services on an efficient, cost effective basis, and to support the budgetary needs of the Legal Department.