The VASan DiegoHealthcare System (VASDHS) is recruiting for a Physician to serve as the Deputy Chief of Staff who will have responsibility for all clinical operations within VASDHS.The focus of the position is to assure coordinated patient care delivery and clinical systems management in support of the facility mission and goals. The Deputy Chief of Staff is a key advisor to theChief of Staff(COS) on clinical issues and assists in the administration and oversight of clinical, educational and research programs. S/he may serve asChief of Staffin the absence of theCOS and participates in selection of key staff members.
VASDHS provides healthcare to approximately 80,000 Veterans in the geographical area as well as to those referred to this highly complex tertiary care center with a strong academic affiliation with University of California, San Diego.The Deputy Chief of Staff's duties include directing and coordinating delivery of high quality inpatient and ambulatory care, maximizing budgetary and operational efficiency, ensuring policy and regulatory compliance, and resolving professional staff matters. To carry out these responsibilities, the Deputy Chief of Staff performs the following, but not limited to:
1) Assures VA San Diego Healthcare System-wide coordination and delivery of high quality care.
2) Assists Clinical Service Chief and Associate Chiefs of Staff, regarding the activities of the medical staff, and oversight of research and graduate medical education programs.
3) Assists the Chief of Staff with meetings of the Organized Medical Staff, and assures adherence to the bylaws and rules and regulations.
4) Assures education and deployment of systems redesign and performance improvement methodology; assist management prepare and execute training, assessment and application of these methodologies.
5) Utilizes analytic tools to provide data to management for strategic and operative planning, and employ such data to create white papers that guide management decisions.
6) Provides support and guidance to assure institutional compliance with external accrediting organizations, e.g., JCAHO, CARF, etc.
7) Assists in the formulation of strategic short term and long range plans and goals for the clinical components of the medical center.
8) Works with other health care disciplines to establish policies so that all health care professionals practice within the scope of their licenses.
9) Serves as a member of (and chairs as needed) key medical center managerial bodies including the Leadership Board, Medical Executive Council, Executive Space Committee, and others.
Work Schedule:Full Time
VA San Diego Healthcare System is a 24/7 operation. The incumbent may be required to work days, nights, off-tour, weekends, and holidays to meet the needs of our Veterans.
Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
Degree of doctor of medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: The individual selected for this position will be a highly qualified board-certified or board-eligible physician. Given the complexity of such an undertaking, the individual selected will have a record of leadership achievement, initiative and supervisory success. It is expected that the physician who accepts this position will participate in patient care and teaching, thus qualifying for academic appointment. Direct patient care activity may account for as much as 15% of his/her time. Academic appointment at the University of California at San Diego, School of Medicine, appropriate to the achievements of the individual selected for this position, will be expected as required of all physicians in this affiliated tertiary care medical center.
Demonstrated leadership, mentoring, and management experience in an integrated healthcare environment.
Demonstrated in depth understanding of health care systems.
Demonstrated leadership in facility level committees or initiatives.
Demonstrated leadership in VISN and VA or comparable committees.
Experience as Academic Faculty
Minimal experience as academic faculty and /or research programs.
Experience as faculty and/or actively engaged in research.
Extensive experience in managing training programs, or research programs.
Demonstrated expertise in the academic missions of education and research in an affiliated environment.
Minimal experience as a board certified physician.
Experience as Service Chief, Associate Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff or equivalent experience.
Experience in an executive leadership capacity providing leadership to clinical providers, developing organizational guidance and policy, ensuring compliance, and implementing new initiatives.
Experience in VA Setting
Minimal experience working using improvement models related to quality, safety, resource management, and/or strategic planning. Minimal experience analyzing and utilizing VA data to improve processes and/or outcomes.
Has completed training in one or more VA improvement methodologies, and/or has some experience in planning or organizing within a team for projects related to quality, safety, resource management, and/or strategic planning. Moderate experience analyzing and utilizing VA data to improve processes and/or outcomes.
Has experience leading, planning, organizing VA teams for projects related to quality, safety, resource management, and/or strategic planning. Extensive experience analyzing and utilizing VA data to improve processes and/or outcomes.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Bending/stooping; Twisting; Both hands required; Walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours);Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Hearing aid permitted; Mental and Emotional Stability required.
1. Responses to Occupational Questionnaire: If applying online, you will be prompted to respond electronically. If submitting via fax, you must complete the 1203FX form. (required)
2. CV or Resume: It must include sufficient experience and/or education. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position. Your resume MUST include the following: the month and year for each position held, and the number of work hours per week, e.g., 03/09 - 06/11 (or Present), 40 hrs/week. (required)
5. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
6. License: a copy of a current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
7.LatestSF-50 Notification of Personnel Action, and SF-50 displaying your highest previous rate (if applicable). You May obtain these from your current Human Resources office or your E-Official Personnel Folder. The SF-50 must display: Title, Pay Plan, Occ Code, Grade, Tenure, and Position Occupied. This includes ICTAP/CTAP documentation for displaced Federal employees, to include a copy of the agency notice in addition to your last SF-50.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1969737.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.