The VA Northern California Health Care System (NCHCS) is currently recruiting for a full-time, board eligible/board certifiedpsychiatrist. The physician serves as the psychiatrist for the Mental Health Services at the Fairfield/Mare Island Behavioral Health Clinic. The Psychiatrist conducts history, physical exams and mental status exams; completes assessments and formulates diagnoses; develops treatment plans; and orders labs and/or radiological assessments for a wide variety of mental disorders, through a multidisciplinary team approach. The psychiatrist is responsible for the medication management for patients as indicated in the treatment plan as well as facilitation of medication support groups, evaluating and providing medical clearance for patients presenting to the clinic who may need psychiatric hospitalization, and assessment and intervention for patients presenting in crisis.
This position includes being on-call for the Joint Inpatient Mental Health Unit at the David Grant Medical Center, a 12-bed acute psychiatric facility. On-call rotations last one week, can be conducted from home, and are usually Tuesday-Monday, including weekends and holidays. The rotations may include discussion of potential admissions to the inpatient psychiatric unit, evaluating patients requiring seclusion and restraint, evaluating emergent psychiatric consults on the medical/surgical, and rounding on the inpatient psychiatric unit during weekends and holidays. Psychiatrists generally are on call three to four times per year.
Psychiatrists also have the opportunity for teaching and supervision of medical students and psychiatric residents through affiliation with the University California, Davis Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.
Work Schedule:Monday-Friday, 0800-1630 (4:30PM) Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA): Yes
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
1. US Citizenship required.
2. Proficiency in written and spoken English.
3. MD or DO degree from an accredited institution.
4. Completion of first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed. For a VA resident, the appropriate Deans Committee and Resident Review Board may recommend appointment on the basis of the candidate's acceptability for residency training.
5. Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified in Psychiatry.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD. This can be found in the local Human Resource Office.
Physical Requirements: Physical demands of this position involve primarily walking, talking, use of telephone/computers, etc. Strenuous physical activity is not required although the incumbent is expected to withstand pressure and stress as part of their day-to-day activity.
1. CV-Provide beginning and ending dates (MM/YY) of employment, the average number of hours worked per week, and a description of duties for each position listed on your CV. If you performed more work than one position title, please indicate the percentage of time spent performing each title's duties (required).
2. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD-214 forms (required).
3. All current or former Federal Employees - VA and non-VA "Notification of Personnel Action" (SF-50's) documenting permanent status, promotion action to the highest grade held in the Federal government, and, if applicable, your separation SF-50.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, you may send by fax to (916) 843-7078 or email to Crystal.Keeler@va.gov with reference to Vacancy ID#1986936.