The Senior Director, Global Commercial and Corporate Finance, serves as a business partner to the Global Commercial Organization to provide financial and business insights, guidance and decision support. The job holder monitors the performance of the Commercial organization through complex financial analysis, detailed sales analytics as well as pricing and reimbursement modeling to provide insights and recommendations. This role also coordinates and executes monthly and quarterly forecasting and reporting activities for timely and accurate consolidation into corporate reporting requirements.
This role is also the primary business partner to the Strategy and Business Development team to provide financial assessment and modeling to various Business Development transactions including acquisitions, alliance, and licensing and collaboration partnership deals as well as supporting the financial assessment of other key Alexion strategic initiatives. The job holder works with the Strategy & Business Development team to measure financial tradeoffs against transactions to enable executive decision making. This role will also partner with the Marketing Franchise teams to lead the development of long-range planning activities and investments for the organization. This position reports to the Senior Vice President, Business Planning and Corporate Finance and is a member of that leadership team, and manages a team of 4-5 people.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Serves as strategic partner to the Global Commercial Organization to provide insights, reporting and analytics to support key decisions and develop long-term business plans. Accountable for the following:
- Provides financial reporting and analysis on commercial development, sales operations, commercial analytics, and market research areas
- Performs sales reporting and analytics by product, brand and global market
- Utilizes deep industry expertise to develop performance analytics, explores the root causes resulting from variance analysis and frames key leadership decisions
- Provides inputs and supports material development for key Commercial Operating and Review Committees
- Leverages understanding of the Pricing and Reimbursement environment to partner with the Government Affairs and Pricing teams to assess cost of goods and model pricing scenarios; contributes to the global pricing strategy across products and brands supported
- Partners with Commercial Leaders and Strategic Financial Planning & Analysis peers to develop the Long Range Plan (LRP)
- Ensures all monthly and quarterly financial forecasts are aggregated, on time and combined into the Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis processes.
Directs financial feasibility analyses and appropriate due diligence to ensure the reliability of information provided by third parties, modeling assumptions, debt versus equity and proposed terms for Business Development transactions. Accountable for the following:
- Works with cross-functional teams in Finance, Research & Development, Commercial, and Business Development to develop plans for financial modeling to qualify proposed transactions
- Building on the initial valuation models performed by the BD function, develops valuation models and supporting analysis for BD deals that have a high probability of moving to due diligence; ensures alignment with industry best practice
- Partners across functions, in coordination with BD, to build out the key valuation assumptions in due diligence
- Utilizes advanced financial evaluation techniques (NPV, decision trees, scenario analysis) to evaluate scenarios; applies a deep level of scrutiny to scenarios to test and validate assumptions
- Performs sensitivity analysis and asks the “right” assumption and challenge questions of the team
- Structures financial trade-off decisions and supports preparation of “go/no-go” decision milestones
Partners with the Marketing Franchise team to lead and direct activities for long-range planning for the business and leads allocation planning for longer-term investments. Accountable for the following:
- Prepares financial studies and market analysis to assist management in the formulation of the organization's long-range planning activities; partners with the Regional Finance teams and Regional businesses to formulate the long-range plans.
- Coordinates the overall long range planning process, including establishing guidance, mechanism for integration with operating reviews and other executive review committees
- Consolidates the long range forecast, frames issues to support leadership decision making and ensures appropriate analysis for capital allocation planning purposes
- Analyzes and evaluates alternate financial plans as they relate to the organization's long-term investment and capital allocation strategies.
- 10+ years of experience in related field, including financial planning & analysis, investment banking or corporate development, or commercial analytics roles
- In-depth Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology industry experience, and understanding of market dynamics and the pricing and reimbursement environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience with brand marketing, commercial operations and sales
- Strong business acumen; proven ability to effectively scrutinize and challenge assumptions and interpret the strategy and priorities of the organization in financial terms
- Excellent project management / leadership skills with demonstrated track record and ability to engage teams to work together towards common deadlines.
- Strong presentation skills to deliver succinctly and effectively deliver recommendations to senior leaders; frames complex concepts
- Prior experience working in a global matrixed environment; experience coordinate processes and delivering results through the collaboration of related teams
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Exceptional attitude, attention to detail and ability to motivate teams to do the same
- MBA and/or CPA preferred