The Global Project Manager (GPM) is the operational leader for the development programs and provides project management support to the Global Development Teams (GDT). The GPM is responsible for management and delivery of the integrated development plans for their programs. In collaboration with the Global Development Team Leader (GDTL) and the GDT, the GPM drives development plans to ensure that program milestones are achieved. Essential to this effort is the GPM’s role in leading the team in planning and organizing resources and activities and providing a strategic perspective that illuminates the purpose of those activities. To further support, the GPM owns and manages an operational plan, focused on achieving deliverables within schedule and on budget. This includes bringing the team to governance interactions for key decisions.
The GPM may also be asked to support ad hoc teams intended to assess Business Development opportunities and/or the integration of such opportunities. I.e. external partnerships or acquisitions. In this role, the GPM will act as an operational leader to help the team achieve assessment objectives, governance interactions, and organize the strategies and tactics. Additionally, the GPM will provide content expertise on the timing, costs and resources required for development plans on these potential programs.
- Partners with the GDTL and the team’s line function representatives to ‘pressure-test’ assumptions and integrate planning across development into the overall project plan.
- Defines the interdependencies of activities and deliverables to ensure that quality, risk, cost, and time are managed within the overall approved plan.
- Clearly defines the critical path and communicates to the team in a way that optimizes their efforts.
- Leads the process for scenario planning; an evaluation of alternative development options to deliver to plan. Influences and drives development of solutions and the execution of those solutions.
- Drives development of the project level goals that contribute to the overall objectives for the R&D portfolio. Monitors and reports on progress of those goals.
- Prepares and manages governance interactions in partnership with the GDTL.
- Partners with the Project Planner to ensure that project schedule, resource plan and project controls are established and maintained.
- In collaboration with the GDTL, plans and negotiates transitions of projects from Research to Development to Commercial.
- Manages and forecasts an integrated project budget and resource plan, including investment buy-ups/buy-downs, in partnership with the GDTL, Finance team member, and the GDT.
- Aligns assumptions in the forecast, ensures transparency and understanding of the approved plan, funding status of activities, and identifies potential efficiencies with the team.
- Brings project management leadership and expertise in the assessment and integration of external assets into the Alexion pipeline
- At least 10 years' of experience within one or more technical role(s) in pharmaceutical R&D drug development, biotechnology drug development, or related industry.
- At least 8 years' of previous project planning, management, business operations or related experience.
- Proven track record of planning and managing complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective project management leadership in terms of setting project plans for the lifecycle of a project from discovery through launch
- Solid understanding of the processes in drug development in biologics relating to required development plans, task durations, cost, and product value assessment
- Technical proficiency includes demonstrated proficiency in the use of project planning and resource forecasting tools and systems (e.g. Microsoft Project or equivalent , resource forecasting, decision analytics, simulation), and the use of reporting tools
- Expertise in budget and resource management and prioritization frameworks
- Demonstrated understanding of project risk management and mitigation in order to simulate the likely obstacles to project progression
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Extremely proficient written, and verbal communication skills
- Highly skilled in negotiation, facilitation, and managing matrix team dynamics
- Experience with business development activities preferred. i.e. diligence, integration, scenario planning
- Master’s degree in a scientific, technical, or business discipline
- Project Management Institute (PMI) qualifications or similar formal training preferred